Monday, October 29, 2012



 
Richard on Sunday
-Lookin spiffy. Lovin life.


Richard on Tuesday
- He found that article and thought it was just too funny after all the answers he has received from the book of Alma.



Family and Friends,

I've been anxious to share the update on Richard this week as it has been an exciting one for all of us. He is rockin and rollin! He has changed significantly since we met him, but more this past week than ever before. He was originally planning to wean himself off of alcohol since he was expecting that to be the most difficult vice to give up after everything he had already changed. He explained the battle in his mind of trying to justify giving it up slowly and recognized that it was a temptation from Satan. Last weekend he went to a mixer with his son and reported to us that he felt the spirit withdraw from him and apparently said to Satan "Where do you get off?!" and explained that he never wanted to feel that again... As of today he is 9 days sober and loving it. He hasn't experienced any withdrawals and is enjoying a new sense of clarity that he hasn't had in over forty years. His wife is loving the changes, but has made it very clear that she doesn't care why or how and she will never be a Mormon. Richard had been asking a lot of questions about the millennium  and expressing concern about being sealed to someone. I'm telling you he's a gem! We were floored yesterday when he walked into church sporting a tie, genuine leather quadruple combination, and missing his 12-inch pony-tail!!(Yes he donated it to locks of love). Who is this guy?! I don't know how he is doing it... well never mind I do. God is so good and He loves, Loves, LOVES Richard :) Still, I'm so impressed by his complete willingness to just drop everything he has always known and trust that this is the truth. He asked me how many baptisms I have seen on my mission and when I responded that he will be the first he seemed a little surprised and then made my day by saying, "Well look what you've done. You should know that I probably count for about 100. I'm just sayin! I know a lot of people." He really does know a LOT of people. It turns out that he was previously the mayor of Culver City and not only does he know everyone; he's telling everyone! More specifically he's inviting them to his baptism! He hit it off with everyone in priesthood this week and loved being at church. He actually knew a few ward members from participating in scouting over the years. I know, I know, it doesn't get better than this. But it kind of does. Richard is planning a trip up to Utah in 2014 so that we can all go to conference together. How excited are we for that trip! I just feel so blessed and lucky to have the opportunity to witness this and to know him. Wow. That's all I can say. 

Susan and John are both coming along slowly. They both read and pray, but are either unable or unwilling to come to church. We can't tell if Jay is dodging us or not. He's nervous about all the changes he would have to make. We had another "Book of Mormon" musical experience this week. I didn't really talk to him, but I guess some man that saw the show tried to buy a Book of Mormon at Barnes and Noble and was directed to the Visitors' Center. Of course we gave him one for free. I'll have to follow up with the sisters that took him around and see what happened with it. 

Everyone at the Visitors' center is already buzzing about decorating for Christmas, the lights that will be on temple hill, and the concerts every night in December. It's October! But I'm enjoying. It's going to be a busy and exciting few months. 

I think that's all.. I love you all and your always in my prayers,


Sister Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment