Monday, May 28, 2012

This week's news and a new companion!




Friends and Family,

It has been kind of a crazy week with transfers and sending my companion home. My new companion is from Rigby, Idaho of all places and this is her last transfer, so I told her she has to stop by the house sometime and give you a first person account of some of our adventures together. She is a great girl and a wonderful example to me that the gospel is beautifully simple and simply beautiful. She has a very positive attitude and a lot of love in her heart. We haven't had a lot of time in our area this week but we did run into a referral(Richie) that Sister Bustamante and I had contacted in the past. He didn't seem very interested when we stopped to see him but I thought the apartment complex would be a good place to knock a few doors on Sunday because it's right near the church. We didn't knock on his door but he happened to come out and we talked to him for a while. He didn't want to set an appointment but he promised to read the pamphlet we gave him and mentioned that he is home 90% of the time because he just got home from a drug rehab and is afraid that if he goes out he will relapse. I really hope we can start teaching him because it is hard to know how much the gospel can help people and then they don't want to learn or accept it. Another cool experience I had this week had to do with my MTC companion. A man came in saying that he was a member of the Community of Christ and that while visiting their temple in Independence he stopped by the Liberty Jail Visitors' Center. None other than Sister Castellano and her companion took him on a tour and when they heard he was from California suggested that he come here when he got home. Of course my companion and I were on shift when he came and got to take him on a tour. Long story short he ended up referring himself and I think Elder Hardy may have convinced him to attend the institute classes. It's such a small world.. and not just in Rexburg. I also had the pleasure of meeting my friend Chelsey Hillman's aunt who was here on vacation so it was really fun to chat with her. I'm excited about this transfer. I think that Sister Olsen and I are similar in some ways and total opposites in others so hopefully we can use that to make a good team. We finally have a pretty good idea of what is going on with the members in our ward so we want to start using them as much as we can. Our district leader suggested family mission plans and we want to get those going when we have meals with the members because I think it is a really good idea. As for an update on Tom - he hasn't returned any of our calls since he came to the baptism and we haven't seen them at church. One family in our ward knows them pretty well,  and they said that he is kind of processing everything and doesn't like to be pushed. Right now we are kind of just letting him know that we are here for him. He has backed off when he was investigating in the past as well and I'm sure that he will get there, but I'm just not sure when or how we can most help right now without seeming like we are pressuring him. It's so good to hear from all of you and I hope everyone is doing well. I love you all so much. Have a great Memorial Day!

Love,
  
              Sister Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment